ALBERTA HEALTH CARE
Health Care Information – FREE FOR ALL ALBERTA RESIDENTS
Replacement Cards please call 780-427-1432
All residents of Alberta must register themselves and their dependents with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan. Form AHC0102 is required.
Note: Individuals cannot maintain active health coverage in more than one province/territory. For example, out-of-province students or temporary contract workers should maintain their coverage in their home province unless moving to Alberta permanently.
A person lawfully entitled to be or to remain in Canada, who makes Alberta his/her home and is physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12-month period, but does not include a tourist, transient or visitor.
- Spouses must register together, unless separated or spouse does not intend to become an Alberta resident
- Adult interdependent partner – may register together or separately
- under 21 and wholly dependent(includes adopted children, foster children and legal wards)
- 21 and over and wholly dependent because of physical or mental disabilities
- under 25 and enrolled in three or more courses at an accredited educational institution
Required Documentation – for registrant and spouse/partner
Original and valid documents are required.
If a document from each category below (one must include a photo) is not produced, the application will not be processed.
Please note: Individuals with visitor or short term permits or refugee documents may not be eligible for coverage.
1) Identity – One (1) document from BOTH the registrant and spouse/partner to support your identity and name. Document must be government issued ID which shows photo, name and birthdate.
- Canadian/Non-Canadian passport
- Canadian citizenship card
- Permanent resident card
- Federal identification card ie:Nexus
- Current Alberta/provincial/territorial driver’s license
- Albert identification card
2) Citizenship/Legal entitlement to be or remain in Canada – One (1) document from BOTH the registrant and spouse/partner to support your Canadian citizenship or legal entitlement to be or remain in Canada. Document must show name and birthdate.
Note: Non-Canadian dependents must also provide a legal entitlement document.
- Canadian passport
- Canadian citizenship card (must be signed prior to February 1,2012)
- Canadian birth certificate
- Permanent resident card or confirmation of PR form
- Canada entry document (work/study/visitor permit)
- Notice of Decision – convention refugee
3) Alberta Residency – One(1) document from EITHER the registrant or spouse/partner to support your Alberta residency. Document must show name and current Alberta address (as provided on the application)
- Current Alberta driver’s license
- Current Alberta photo ID card
- Current utility bill for an Alberta residence
- Mortgage or rent/lease agreement
Changes to your Alberta Health Care Insurance
A change or correction to an individual’s name, date of birth and/or gender requires government-issued supporting documentation. Change of gender also requires a letter from the attending physician stating a new health care card is required as part of the therapeutic protocol and a driver’s license or birth certificate showing gender change.
Change of address is required in order to maintain Alberta Health care Insurance coverage.
For Further Information On This Program, Click Here.